Updated: January 12, 2023
In this article, we will present the top 10 high volatility online slots currently on the market. We will describe details about these games and provide tips and strategies for playing highly volatile slots in free or real money mode.
Play TOP 10 high volatility slots online in the best Canadian casinos
Picking the right slot is one of the most challenging elements of every player’s gambling beginning. There are thousands of games in every Canadian casino lobby – each of them brighter and more inviting than the last. How are they different? Which one is better?
Here we will focus on high volatility (dispersion) slots, which despite their rollercoaster nature, seem to have gained a lot of popularity due to the gigantic winning potential they offer. In this review, we will also write about what the variance of online slots in general is and what types of variance a slot can be.
What is the Volatility of online slots?
Volatility in Slots represents the game’s capacity to generate payouts of different sizes with a particular frequency.
Simply put, in slots, there is the following correlation:
the higher the variance, the bigger the danger for your capital and the greater the chance of making a huge profit.
In order to create your own online slots strategy, you should consider that besides the general unpredictability of all online games, you need also to figure out:
- What will your opening balance be for the current session?
- What will be your bet per spin?
- What are your expectations for the size of the payouts?
- What is your hope for the frequency of significant wins?
- What is the level of risk you are willing to take?
Having the answers to these questions will put you one step closer to deciding which type of volatility slot is best to launch.
The fluctuation of the game sessions from frustratingly long losing streaks to some fantastic winning rounds could be explained by online slots volatility.
Volatility metrics will enable you to select the best game at Canadian Online Casinos.
- You will probably want to play the best low volatility slots that involve fewer risks if you have a small budget, which could extend your gameplay with lots of minor but recurring wins.
- Opposite to this, if you are more of a risk-taker with a larger budget, you’ll want to play medium to high volatility slots, which can generate sizeable wins but seldom.
The index value of the variance in slots thus pinpoints the degree of risk. For example, while researching some of the best NetEnt games, our test team found that DOA slot (volume I) exhibits a variance of 16.6 out of 20 (i.e. very high).
Advanced players have already learned that before using tactics, they should look not only for the volatility that is right for their desires but also for that particular volatility coupled with a highly RTP.
Slots with different Volatility
In terms of Volatility, all slot machines can be divided into 3 groups: low, average, and high variance online slots.
More adept players are used to quickly understanding the variance of 1 online slot and adjusting their game or even moving on to the next slot.
- In parallel to other casino games such as blackjack and roulette, even low variance slots can give a good winning on your stake. For instance, Blood Suckers by NetEnt: although it is a low volatility slot, it still has a potential for a big win (via triggering bonus or free spins feature).
- There are many benefits to playing high-risk slots. Most high volatility games come with lucrative Multipliers plus thrilling and bankable Bonus rounds. The features in these otherwise bombastic (very exciting games) are likely to yield only a meagre payout at times or send you to a completely dry street. But when the machine bestows you with the real win, it is absolutely worth the wait (it could be 1000x+)!
- A good example is again the Dead or Alive slot machine. It is an excellent game, but it can “eat money” for several sessions. But if you catch a lot of Wilds during the free spins, you will be rewarded with an EPIC win. If you are such a thrill-seeker, you will have to focus on the most volatility slots.
Ranking 2023 – Top 10 Best High Volatility Slots Online
Check out the 2023 classification, prepared by the experts at CoC – Casino online Canada (casinoonlinecanada.net), based on the popularity and qualities of the games (in no particular order).
TOP 10 High Volatility Slots
Dead or Alive II
Book of Dead
Thunderstruck Wild Lightning
Piggy Riches MegaWays
Money Train II
Great Rhino Megaways
Dead or Alive II – NetEnt
- Dead or Alive II (2019) is the sequel of the eponymous legendary NetEnt slot of 2013.
- A classic 9-line with a steady RTP of 96.82%.
- With its astronomical winning potential of over 111111x the total bet this chapter 2 of the famous Wild West game, stands tall, reaching the highest place at many “Wall of Fame” slots’ lists.
- It allows bets between 0.09 cents and 18 CAD.
- The Variance is high and a Buy Free Spins feature is available.
- The slot comes with astounding visuals and audio elements.
- The greatest chance of winning is in 1 of the 3 (selectable) Free Spins features.
- All bonus options are complex and sophisticated at the same time: 1) Train Heist, 2) Old Saloon and 3) High Noon Saloon.
- There are 5 different, equally valuable Wild symbols that become sticky (frozen at its place), Multipliers, and supercharged Scatters with a value of over 270x the total bet for 5OAK.
Book of Dead – Play’n Go
- Book of Dead (2016) is similar to the notorious Novomatic (Green Tube) Book of Ra slot of 2004 (also called ‘mother of all Books’).
- It offers a great winning potential of over 5000x the total bet.
- It is a 10-betways with a variable RTP, but by default comes with a return of 94.25%.
- Built with simple but pleasing graphics and smooth gameplay.
- Book of Dead is constructed with bets in the range of 0.10 cents to 100 CAD.
- The machine is charged with a highly volatility and Expanding symbols feature.
- During FS a random icon is chosen to expand, which can lead to massive rewards.
- Although lacking originality in topic, design and symbols, the game remains extremely popular.
- For the real thrill-seekers, it provides the opportunity to double or nothing the current win (a Gamble feature).
- The greatest chance of winning is in the bonus, which can be re-triggered.
Razor Shark – Push Gaming
- Razor Shark (2019) is an underwater adventure created by the London-based developer Push Gaming.
- With its humongous winning potential of over 85000x the total bet this game rank very high in every casino lobby.
- A slot with a sufficient default return of 96.70%, although it is released with an option for casino adjustment – i.e. variable RTP and one of the online slots high volatility.
- It is a basic 20-liner, but has highly thrilling functions: Nudge and Reveal feature, Mystery Stacks, Razor Reveal Feature, Unlimited Free Spins and increasing Multipliers.
- You can use stakes between 0.10 cents and 100 CAD.
- Even though the Wild Shark and the other colourful Sharks don’t have super generous values at the paytable, they can deliver insane rewards.
- The greatest chance of winning is in the Free Spins with the progressive Multiplier acting in combination with the Nudge and Reveal.
- The Variance is High, so don’t be fooled by the cartoonish look of this aquatic escapade.
Thunderstruck Wild Lightning – Microgaming
- Thunderstruck Wild Lightning (2021) is the 3rd chapter of the eponymous Microgaming’s Scandinavian saga: Thunderstruck of 2004, and Thunderstruck II published in 2010.
- The Wild Lightning was created by Stormcraft Studio, an Indi South African partner that was annexed to Microgaming’s family in 2018.
- It comes with a dynamite winning potential of 15000x the total bet achievable via the ultimate in-game Jackpot.
- There are captivating and profitable at the same time functions: Thor Multiplier Wild, Link & Win Re-spin, Sticky Symbols, 5 different types of Free Spins, supercharged Wild-storm and Wild-lightning features.
- It is a 40 pay line with an outstanding quality of symbols, animations and overall design.
- You can savour the excellent music playlist.
- The machine is built with a variable RTP, but by default comes with a return of 96.10%.
- Betting here is possible via stakes between 0.20 cents and 16 CAD.
- The High Variance and increased risk here are compensated by the chance of hitting a colossal payout.
- The slot comes with tempting cash rewards in the base game: Mini, Minor, Major, and Mega Jackpots at the end of the Link & Win Re-spin function.
- The uppermost chance of winning apart from the Jackpots is 8000x the total bet, gettable in 1 of the 5 (on upgrade method reachable) Free Spins features.
- There are fantastic effects and ambience for each FS feature, with a different number of rounds and Multipliers level or Wild reels.
Chicken Drop – Pragmatic Play
- Chicken Drop (2021) is a farm-themed whimsical game with a quirky, comical charm and one of the highest volatility slots.
- It was created by the talented team of Pragmatic Play – Software Company incepted in 2015 and headquartered in Malta.
- It comes with a large winning potential of 5000x the total bet as a result of Cluster Pays mechanics on an unusual 7×7 playing field.
- This untraditional and jolly farming machine is equipped with variable RTP, with a default value of 96.50%.
- Here you can spin with bets between 0.20 cents and 100 CAD.
- The chicken Drop slot is crafted with a remarkably colourful and beautiful design.
- A full screen of the top symbol (strawberry) – in a cluster of 37 to 49 icons can deliver 1000x the total bet.
- The slot is furnished with High Variance and Cascading winning technique
- A Bonus Buy feature is available for impatient players.
- The machine offers amusing features and distinguishing elements: Mystery egg drop feature, Symbol upgrade feature via Egg growing option to 6×6 with progressive Multiplier (up to 11x) and Free Spins.
- The best chance of winning big is in the bonus feature with re-trigger-able FS.
Piggy Riches MegaWays – NetEnt – High Variance Slots
- Piggy Riches MegaWays (2020) is the second episode, depicting the life of the wealthy and elegant couple – Mrs Piggy and Mr Pig, after the same name slot of 2010.
- Utilizing the BGT MegaWays game engine, NetEnt’s appointed this project for execution by their Red Tiger department.
- With its gigantic winning potential of over 10400x the total bet, this MW machine is a tempting option for all the lovers of multi reels (6) with 2 to 7 symbols per reel on each spin.
- The MW beltways here can reach 117649, and the payouts are coming in cascading waves.
- The game is offered with a variable/adjustable RTP of 95.71%.
- It offers bets between 0.10 cents and 10 CAD.
- The game is one of the slots with high volatility, and the fortune-seeking Mrs Piggy is the Scatter, and a combo of at least 3OAK will secure your access to the FS.
- The animal-themed slot comes with an incredibly cool look and super engaging gameplay.
- Stacked Mega Wild symbols with embedded Multipliers (of up to x7) in the base game and Bonus Wheel, determining the number of FS and the applicable Multiplier factor are the star features here.
- Winning a massive reward is possible in the 22-round Free Spins feature with a max win Multiplier of x10.
Sweet Bonanza – Pragmatic Play – High Variance Slots
- Sweet Bonanza (2019) is another cascading/ tumbling slot on a 6×5 playing field by Pragmatic Play.
- With its impressive winning potential of over 21000x the total bet, the game can give lasting energy to all the sugar rush bettors.
- It is a colourful Sweet Paradise built with ranging RTP, having a default setting of 96.48%.
- It offers bets between 0.20 cents and 100 CAD.
- Dedicated to a tempting assortment of jellybeans, lollypops and other sugary sensations this bright-coloured game is super pleasing for the eyes and for the wallet online alternative.
- It is Highly Volatile despite the adorable carbs vibe.
- A Cluster Pays math model is integrated for payoffs of groups of 8+ matching symbols.
- The slot comes with astounding visuals and audio elements.
- The biggest bonanza is triggered by 4+ lollies and is in the form of 10 FS, with a chance of winning 5 extra rounds in the feature. Sweet bombs here can increase the Multiplier up to 100x.
- There is a 2-optional Bonus Buy feature, which the developer named Ante bet.
Money Train II – Relax Gaming
- Money Train II (2020) is the sequel of the eponymous successful Relax Gaming slot of 2019.
- Due to its whopping winning potential of over 50000x the total bet this 2nd instalment is a proud follow-up of the original game with the 20000x the total bet max prospect.
- The 40-liner has a striking RTP of 96.40%, increasing to 98% with the Bonus Buy feature.
- It offers bets between 0.20 cents and 20 CAD.
- The creation of the based-in Tallinn, Estonia development team is one of the slots with high volatility.
- The slot is spiced with incredible visuals and audio ingredients.
- Re-spin till you win feature with progressive Multiplier, growing after a non-winning spin.
- Another showstopper is the Money Cart bonus, in which additional reels can be opened.
- The greatest chance of winning is in the Free Spins feature, where besides the regular 2 Bonus symbols, additional 7 bonus symbols on top of the 4 main characters are charged with special powers during 3 (initial) rounds. They can be prolonged by re-setting the counter back with winning at least 1 new Bonus ring icon.
- The bonus round is riveting, yet somewhat elaborate and impenetrable.
- Increasing the reels from 5×4 to 7×4, and escalating the Multiplier number deliver an adrenaline rush that gets you hooked to this machine for long sessions.
Starburst XXXtreme – NetEnt
- Starburst XXXtreme (2021) is the official continuation of the eponymous stellar NetEnt slot from 2013.
- There have been myriad attempts to copy/replicate/imitate the unfading shine of this classic, but this is NetEnt’s own way to sparkle even more with this already radiating game.
- It can burst to the monumental 200000x (the total bet) winning potential
- Who doesn’t like a glow with such power?
- It is a classic 9-line (compared with the original 10-liner), which is bared from the win-both-ways model.
- The RTP of 96.26% is acceptable, and with the betting XXX option, can rise to even 96.45%.
- It offers to spin with bets between 0.10 cents and 50 CAD (aside from the XXX option).
- It is on one of the first places on our list of high volatility slot machines, and as with the predecessor no Free Spins, but a Re-spin feature.
- This exclusive machine shows the perfect quality work, we are used to from the industry leader, but now besides the shimmering Wild, there are 2 extra brilliant elements: the Multiplier Wild and Betting Wild features.
- The familiar Re-spin feature is gettable when:1) a ‘Wild’ lands, 2) substitutes, 3) expands to a full reel/stack, 4 )rewards a prize with or without Multiplier, 5) freezes on the reels and 6) activates 1 Re-spin.
- Sublime Multipliers between x2 and x150 can randomly be awarded, and with a little luck even several such multiplying factors can be summed up for XXX prizes.
- There is a Random Wilds function when on any or all central 3 reels are added extra Wild stacks, also with possible sublime Multipliers.
- As the highest Multiplier is x150, and the max Wild reels gettable is 3 (central), so the most profitable situation is formed with x450 tag attached to the Wild reels amongst only Bar symbols (valued as 50x the total bet for 5OAK).
Great Rhino Megaways – Pragmatic Play
- Great Rhino Megaways (2020) is the next case of cascading/ tumbling slot by Pragmatic Play.
- On an unusual ranging playing field: 6 reels with between 2 and 8 cells randomly dropping (reels 1/ 6 can get 7 tall; reels 2/3/4/5 can get 8 tall), which constructs up to 200704 win ways.
- Presenting magnificent winning prospect of up to 20000x the total bet, this 3rd game in the series: after Great Rhino (2018) – one to the best medium volatility slots with 900x the total bet maximum win, and Great Rhino Deluxe (2020) – with Medium-High variance and 6424x the total bet max win, Great Rhino MW is the riskiest and most unpredictable.
- It offers a colourful African Savanah ambience, with high-quality video and audio effects, plus intriguing gameplay in both – base and bonus games.
- The RTP is more than decent, set at 96.58%.
- It offers bets between 0.20 cents and 100 CAD.
- It is a Most Volatility Slot, as thrilling and hooking, as one bold slot creation could be.
- There is a 4-modes bonus option open for the players from the very first launch. They vary by the number of rounds (up to 23 FS with 6 Scatters) and the multiplying factor. But they all offer the chance of winning extra 5 rounds in the feature.
- The win Multiplier with an opening figure between 1x and 10x is progressing through all the FS cascades and remains even after a non-winning round. It is practically unlimited.
- There is a selective Bonus Buy feature (x20, or x25), which increases the chance of getting Scatters and launching the FS, named by the producer an Ante bet.
When should I play High Variance Slots at a casino in Canada?
- When you have a lot of extra money;
- If you are ready to hit a win of over 500 – 1000x or lose all of the money.
- When you can control yourself and stop playing after you lost all of the planned money for the day.
- If you are ready to play a long time without the bonus feature, but after it’s triggered, you will be amazed!
- The best strategy for such games is to have a minimum reserve of a bet balance for 300 (better 500 bets). For example, if you’re planning on playing at The Wish Master on bets of 1 or 1.5 CAD, the recommended balance is 500 CAD.
While low-volatility games can yield more frequent wins, the tension, thrill, or climax is less (if any) compared to the high-variance game.
Anticipating a highly rewarding Free Spins round or a Mini-game outcome of a High Volatility slot has its foundation – after all – such a machine can deliver 5000x+ results, right in these segments of the gameplay.
In general, the most variance slot comes with a significant contrast between the maximum and minimum possible wins and shows sharp drifts up and down.